Wednesday, January 19, 2011


So since I have once again allowed this blog slip into the clutches of neglect, I've missed sharing a few things with you few fine folks here.

Mid September of last year, I decided to shake things up in the hopes of chasing away a depression I was fighting. On a whim, I submitted a few pictures of my work to a jurried art show that would be happening in November called Oddmall. Up until then, I'd never tried to have my work judged for any sort of show or gallery.We had already planned to attend this show in the hopes of meeting one of my heroes, Ms. April Winchell who was scheduled to appear. I figured "What the hell" and so I sent the email, expecting a rejection and hopefully helpful criticism.

Not more than a half an hour later I received a response that just about blew my mind. I was told that my work was exactly the sort of thing they were looking for and that I should reserve my booth immediately. I was thrilled.

I dedicated all of October to working furiously towards having an impressive booth when the big day came. I've never turned out so many completed pieces as when I was working against that deadline. If only I could harness that momentum for everyday use.
I started to run out of room on my trunk.
The month marched on and the day grew closer.

I've never done a craft show before but I spent my childhood tagging along with my mother and aunt as they did antique show after antique show. I was the dirty little girl you see running around the flea markets, playing little games and taking naps under the tables on top of boxes. 

My babies all packed up for their big day!
So I have had experience with putting together cohesive booths and working with customers. I knew how to play the game, this would be the first time I would be in charge of things. 

All wrapped up for the night. 

On November 5th we left at about 2 in the morning and drove all night and all day to Hudson Ohio. We faced hiccup after hiccup and finally made it to our hotel, a shady looking hole in the wall (not the place where it was being held). And as we pulled into the parking lot of what would be our base camp, It began to snow in heavy clumping sheets until it was nearly white out conditions. But none of the hassles and problems we dealt with could spoil the excitement. We headed to the show to set up, spending about five hours preparing the first official Mad Gypsy booth. 

The next morning, bright and early it was showtime.

It was incredible. Despite the crowd being thin due to the unexpected blizzard the night before, it was still amazing. I watched a little girl fall in love with a barrette and beg her mother for it and then wore it immediately. I saw a woman examining an ornament and then returning hours later saying he was calling to her and she just couldn't leave without him! It was such an great feeling to actually be there to watch someone fall for a creation. Simply amazing.

So yes there were snags, and weather issues, and it was less than profitable when travel and expenses are figured in.
But I can't wait to do it again.

Hopefully you will see me at the spring show!!

No comments:

Post a Comment